Musikantenstammtisch - Monthly 2nd Thursday jam session
German, Austrian & Swiss music jam session.
Meeting 2nd Thursdays of the month.
March 12, April 9, May 14, June 11, 2020 - CANCELLED due to Coronavirus.
Bill Likens, Musikantenstammtisch organizer, March 30, 2020.
Where: Esther's German Bakery & Cafe located at 987 N. San Antonio Road in Los Altos.
All muscians and singers welcome. Song texts and sheet music are available for attendees.
Organizer: Bill Likens email@example.com
About our session:
- We are a Musikantenstammtisch, a gathering of people with interest in German, Austrian and Swiss music.
- We are a casual gathering of people who meet to play and sing, and for some, to listen
- Anyone can participate on a drop-in basis: This is an "open community band"
- Not a performance. More party than performance.
- To ensure things remain casual and relatively unstructured, no video taking for commercial purposes is allowed.
- Taking pictures and recording audio and video for personal use is OK.
- No dress code for monthly gatherings.
- We use the “session” format as practiced in anglo-irish-american folk music.
- We follow the "session" format, rather than the German Musikantenstammtisch format of round-robin of solo recital performances.
- Session format:
- We all play together, not solo, other than by exception as a short break to feature something unique.
- Sessions are casual gatherings, not performances.
- Imperfect music is OK, as is the playing of new or unfamiliar tunes that might go wrong. The session is an opportunity to learn new music.
- Session participants play and sing mainly for their own enjoyment.
- The crowd in the room who sing with us are also musicians! It is not just those of us with instruments.
- Pleasing the punters, the listeners, is fine, but this should rather be a byproduct of our having a good time, rather than as a goal.
- We have an open moderated session:
- Newcomers and drop-ins are invited to play or sing (open session)
- The session leader picks the tunes to keep things moving along, should the rest of the group be unable to quickly decide what to do (moderated session)