Musikantenstammtisch - Monthly 2nd Thursday jam session
German, Austrian & Swiss music jam session.
Meeting 2nd Thursdays of the month.
Next meeting via Zoom video:
Musikantenstammtisch - Monthly 2nd Thursday jam session - via Zoom,
previously at Esther's/Los Altos
Zoom video: 7 - 8 pm, Thursday, November 12, 2020
Zoom Meeting URL: To be announced
Unfortunately, Zoom doesn't really work for "jamming", with everyone playing and singing together. Nor can we get together at our normal meeting location at Esther's Bakery in Los Altos until the pandemic passes. So for the foreseeable future we will meet via Zoom to say hello, and to play and listen to some music..
Our meeting location in better times: Esther's German Bakery & Cafe
located at 987 N. San Antonio Road in Los Altos.
To be put on the mail list contact the Organizer: Bill Likens email@example.com
Webpage Last Updated: Bill Likens, Musikantenstammtisch organizer, Oct. 12, 2020
Normal meeting location in better times: Esther's German Bakery & Cafe located at 987 N. San Antonio Road in Los Altos, with all muscians and singers welcome. Song texts and sheet music are available for attendees.
Organizer: Bill Likens firstname.lastname@example.org
About our session:
- We are a Musikantenstammtisch, a gathering of people with interest in German, Austrian and Swiss music.
- We are a casual gathering of people who meet to play and sing, and for some, to listen
- Anyone can participate on a drop-in basis: This is an "open community band"
- Not a performance. More party than performance.
- To ensure things remain casual and relatively unstructured, no video taking for commercial purposes is allowed.
- Taking pictures and recording audio and video for personal use is OK.
- No dress code for monthly gatherings.
- We use the “session” format as practiced in anglo-irish-american folk music, rather than the German Musikantenstammtisch format of round-robin of solo recital performances.
- Session format:
- We all play together, not solo, other than by exception as a short break to feature something unique.
- Sessions are casual gatherings, not performances.
- Imperfect music is OK, as is the playing of new or unfamiliar tunes that might go wrong. The session is an opportunity to learn new music.
- Session participants play and sing mainly for their own enjoyment.
- The crowd in the room who sing with us are also musicians! It is not just those of us with instruments.
- Pleasing the punters, the listeners, is fine, but this should rather be a byproduct of our having a good time, rather than as a goal.
- We have an open moderated session:
- Newcomers and drop-ins are invited to play or sing (open session)
- The session leader picks the tunes to keep things moving along, should the rest of the group be unable to quickly decide what to do (moderated session)