Musikantenstammtisch - Monthly 2nd Thursday jam session
German, Austrian & Swiss music jam session. Meeting 2nd Thursdays of the month.
NOTICE: The Musikantenstammtisch session will NOT be held in November due to unavailablity of many of the regular musicians on the 2nd Thursday in November. Look for us in December.
Next Session: December 13, 2018 from 6:30 to 8:30 PM
Where: Esther's German Bakery & Cafe located at 987 N. San Antonio Road in Los Altos.
All muscians and singers welcome. Song texts and sheet music are available for attendees.
Organizer: Bill Likens firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you to those who came to the Oktoberfest at Esther's German Bakery & Cafe Saturday September 22, 2018
About our session:
- We are a Musikantenstammtisch, a gathering of people with interest in German, Austrian and Swiss music.
- We are a casual gathering of people who meet to play and sing, and for some, to listen.
- Not a performance. More party than performance.
- To ensure things remain casual and relatively unstructured, no video taking for commercial purposes is allowed.
- Taking pictures and recording audio and video for personal use is OK.
- No dress code for monthly gatherings.
- We use the “session” format as practiced in anglo-irish-american folk music.
- We follow the "session" format, rather than the German Musikantenstammtisch format of round-robin of solo recital performances.
- Session format:
- We all play together, not solo, other than by exception as a short break to feature something unique.
- Sessions are casual gatherings, not performances.
- Imperfect music is OK, as is the playing of new or unfamiliar tunes that might go wrong. The session is an opportunity to learn new music.
- Session participants play and sing mainly for their own enjoyment.
- The crowd in the room who sing with us are also musicians! It is not just those of us with instruments.
- Pleasing the punters, the listeners, is fine, but this should rather be a byproduct of our having a good time, rather than as a goal.
- We have an open moderated session:
- Newcomers and drop-ins are invited to play or sing (open session)
- The session leader picks the tunes to keep things moving along, should the rest of the group be unable to quickly decide what to do (moderated session)